What I am about to say Will save you From a great sadness
1. Don't ever caress your broken heart in your hands The blood will stain your finger tips scarlet And be imprinted on the next person you hold.
2. Don't succumb To the comforting grey side Of Sadness I know its warm. I know its safe. But its only all those things Because darling, It will never leave.
3. Don't keep things hidden. Who are you? How can you even think of not being the main character of your story?
4. Don't read books about girls being left behind, and about boys dying Or about people who are too afraid Or too courageous Or whose main characters are liars Who come alive when you look into Their eyes.
5. Don't let your heart pull away from him Because you feel like "You love him too much" He won't understand why You are holding his heart And your own.
6. Don't start writing when you are sad. The ink won't be able to run from your fingers when you are happy And you will be left without the words you have Become addicted to-
You will hold your heart in your hands And you will pick at its stitches to feel And your heart will bleed And it will stain your fingertips red.
You will reach out to him, And your will leave scarlet smears across his cheek And his chest And his wrist And no matter how many times You kiss The stain will stay
And you will Wrap yourself in the soft grey And the Sadness will swear To always stay And you will feel loved Because it will never leave.
And you will start to hide it- The warm grey The phone call An opinion The fight you had The tears and words That want to come out
And you will turn to books Not to escape But to learn About other I's and hers and hims And their words will come out Black and white The next time He whispers 'I love you' in your ear.
And then you will start to pull away Because god You love him too much And that means he is going to leave And he will look at you and see That you have his heart And your heart But it will be too late for him to Have kept yours And it will be too late for you to keep his.
And suddenly It will be Saturday night And he will still be yours But it will feel like he's Gone And you will pull the thread